Saturday 10 November 2012

Life: My Favourite Sport


Not the kind of post that you'd expect to see on a mainly beauty blog but I thought I'd throw in a post about what I enjoy the most.

Ice hockey is a minority sport in the United Kingdom and many of you, if any of your reading this might have never heard of it. But in USA and Canada the sport is highly watched like football is over here. The sport doesn't get the media coverage/ TV coverage like any other because of the low attendances and the minority that actually enjoy the sport. 

I personally enjoy ice hockey because each game is different, its entertaining, high energy and depending on the opponents the atmosphere incredible. At times it can be very aggressive with fights happening but then again its part of the entertainment.
The rivalry between many of the times is what makes the sport, the passion that the fans show when its against their rivals and even the players. It seems like they put more effort into every shift, want to score more goals and most of all want to get the 2 points from the game against there opponents.

I've met some great friends through the sport from various cities around the UK including Belfast, which is one of my favourite places ever. It's so beautiful and so different to Sheffield. There is also playoff weekend which takes place in Nottingham every April and is 4 teams that have battled with the others in the league to get to this weekend, with 2 semi finals and one final on the Sunday where one team is crowned Playoff Champions. This has to be one of my favourite weekends of the year because all fans from every team are in one city and it gives you the opportunity to meet people and for all your friends from different teams/ cities to be all together.

So many people I know has never been to a match before and then they came along and just want to keep coming back because of how much they enjoy it. I think it's because its different and each game brings something different, no matter if they are from Edinburgh or Cardiff then you know its going to be a good game because the most important thing at the end of the day is the league title. Each team wants to win it (especially Nottingham, more than anyone) but by the end of March, all the hard work the teams put in only one will be the Elite League Champions.

The team I support is Sheffield Steelers which is my local team, and I've been attending matches since I was about 3 years old and still love it as much as I did then. I probably appreciate it more than I did back then because I know what is actually happening and understand the rules etc. At the moment our players are supporting Movember in order to raise awareness for mens prostate and testicular cancer which is obviously a great cause to support. 

I hope you've enjoyed my little ramble about ice hockey and if you've been to a game comment I'd love to meet others than enjoy the sport too :)
Lots of love
ox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to write something here - I read and appreciate all the comments I receive. I will try and reply to each message ASAP!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! :)